Education Initiatives and Awards
The University of Chicago offers several programs that support the education and professional development of national laboratories staff and their families:
Executive Management Education
In 2007, UChicago launched the Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program, which draws on expertise from the top-ranking University of Chicago Booth School of Business to develop future lab leaders, address succession planning challenges, and foster closer working relationships between Argonne and Fermilab.
This program builds such management skills as strategic planning and commanding change and innovation, with an emphasis on effective leadership and promoting real-world application of new skill sets. Participants also complete a Chicago Booth executive education elective course aligned with personal development interests.
Each year the Board of Governors for Argonne National Laboratory recognizes the lab’s top performers with more than $40,000 in awards for distinguished performance, outstanding service, education and safety achievements.
The annual awards include:
- Distinguished Performance Awards for outstanding scientific or technical achievements, or a distinguished record of achievement of select Argonne employees
- Outstanding Service Awards, the highest honor the University gives to Argonne employees in support positions
- Director’s Award for Outstanding Safety Leadership, which recognizes laboratory leaders who, in an exceptional and exemplary way, embody the principles of integrated safety management, contribute to a positive safety culture, demonstrate a commitment to excellence in workplace safety and successfully address critical challenges and vulnerabilities in safety
- Director’s Team Award for Outstanding Safety Performance given to a team of laboratory employees who embody the principles of integrated safety management and directly contribute to the creation and sustenance of a positive safety culture and a commitment to excellence in workplace safety
- Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion, which recognizes excellence in promoting a culture of diversity and inclusion within their workplace
- Pinnacle of Education Award, which recognizes employees for their leadership in science through the Division of Educational Programs
If they are accepted to the undergraduate College at the University of Chicago, the children of Argonne employees receive 50 percent tuition remission for four years. In addition, each year the University awards full tuition merit scholarships to highly qualified children of lab employees.